Trees and Shrubs That Are Evergreen
You can create year round interest in your garden with trees and shrubs. Think of them as the nuts and bolts of the garden. We have trees and shrubs that are evergreen, many that offer beautiful fall color, and let’s not forget about the ones that look amazing with no leaves in the dead of winter!
Here are a few of our favorites…
- Burning Bush
Stoughton Garden Center Offers Dozens of Rose Bushes
Roses are one of the most beautiful flowers around so why not add a few rose bushes to your garden? Stoughton Garden Center offers dozens of rose bushes – from tea roses to medium and large shrubs to climbers.
Here are some tips on caring for your roses…
- Make sure you have the correct environment for roses. They require full sun and adequate moisture.
- Fertilize monthly to maintain the healthiest bushes.
- Roses are susceptible to pests and diseases, so protect your plants with an all purpose insecticide and fungicide.
- Protect your roses in winter. Stop fertilizing in late summer, but continue to water your rose bush. Remove all fallen leaves. After a couple of good frosts, mound compost and/or additional soil at the base of the bush (you can consider using a rose collar). In early December pile hay, straw or pine boughs over the canes for additional protection.
- In early spring you can prune back to live wood. Prune back to an outward-facing bud to encourage outward growth.
Now that you’ve done the work, enjoy your blooms indoors as well as out. When possible, cut roses in late afternoon and place them in water immediately. Use clean, sharp pruners to minimize damage and prevent the spread of disease. Remember that the leaves feed the bush, so try to leave at least 3 leaves on the stem.